During menopause, there is a drop in sex hormones.
We have sex hormone receptors in our salivary glands and our oral tissues-same as we have on our vaginal tissues :
So when we have a major drop in these hormone levels especially estrogen & progesterone, we can feel oral discomfort, if ignored or left untreated can implant our dental health & also mental health.
Note: these are the most common discomforts felt by menopausal women:
- Xerostomia: due to decrease in salivary flow there is increased occurrence of dental decay.
- Taste alterations: dysesthesia
- Loosening of teeth-due to osteoporotic jaws.
- Gum problems- Atropic gingivitis leading to severe gum diseases.
- Burning mouth syndrome-due to decline in Vitamin B12 .